Monday, October 11, 2010

my SQ&R on Joel_Chapa

Summary:
His problem with writing is that if he isn’t interested in what he has to write about then he has trouble writing about it. He has to be able to relate to the topic. He used an example by saying that when it came to TAKS in high school he hoped he liked the essay topic and that he could relate to it so that he would be able to write about it. He then states another example in which he froze and wasn’t able to write because he didn’t like “Great Expectations”, the topic. He was able to find a solution to his problem which was to brainstorm and take notes on what he would read. These notes would later come in handy when it came to essay writing time. The notes would make writing easier and help him relate to the essay topic. In the end, he realized that sometimes we just have to deal with topics we don’t like and learn to write about them no matter what.
Question:
Does being interested in what you write play a sufficient role in becoming a more proficient writer?
Response:
I think the author made a good point when he stated that being a “well rounded person” helps achieve good writing. Being able to write about anything in the world isn’t the easiest thing to do. I know for me when it comes to reading books I’m very picky. I love to read but only on matters that interest me such as romance and mystery. I have my favorite author Jodi Picoult and I tend to stay within her little circle of novels. Sometimes I’ll read other books but usually they don’t interest me. The way I’m picky with reading I’m also picky with writing. Why would I want to write about something I’m not interested in? It just seems like a waste of time but sometimes those are the topics that turn us into better writers. A good writer can make anything sound interesting. A good writer could write an article on cottage cheese and immediately make me interested in cottage cheese. Topics shouldn’t matter as much as the quality of the writing. I know throughout the rest of my life I am going to come across a lot of essay topics that I don’t want to write about but I’m going to write about them anyway in hope of someday becoming a writer as good as Shakespeare. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment