Monday, November 15, 2010

Responding to students writing Q&R

Question: Is teacher’s commentary really helpful?
Sommers talks about how teachers commentary on student writing can be effective in improving their writing. Comments are “a guide to composing” which leads to the idea that comments can be helpful to students when they are editing their essays. It tell students exactly what needs to be modified. Sometimes though, teachers comments can be a little to broad and leave students in question of what they need to fix in their essays. Sometimes teachers comments are worded in way that makes it difficult for students to understand what they need to fix leaving them instead in a worse position rather than a better position when it comes to writing. Teachers make mistakes as well and sometimes their comments don’t even make sense but the students feel like the teacher is always right so they try to fix what might not even need fixing. Commenting is a huge catastrophic dilemma that students face when it comes to trying to improve their writing.
In my opinion, students should choose which comments they want to take to heart and actually try to fix and which comments are completely unorthodox and should just be trashed and forgotten. Students, by the time they’ve reached college, should have a good understanding of what good writing is and therefore should be able to tell the good helpful comments from the bad pointless comments. Some of the teacher’s commentary can be really helpful. For example, your comments Shoney are really helpful on our drafts. Well to me they are. You ask me questions about my paper I would never even think to ask myself. You help me understand exactly where my essay needs fixing and what I need to fix. On the other hand, you also say that you don’t have time to comment on every single thing you want because of lack of time. I know you hit the biggest most problematic parts of my essay but it still doesn’t cover everything. Obviously I think your commentary is very important and helpful but in a way I think its still the student’s responsibility to make sure they proof read and make their own editing. Students shouldn’t just rely on the teacher to do the editing for them through their comments.

1 comment: