Monday, September 20, 2010

Murray SQ&R #4

Summary: The article reflects on the idea that writers have to write before writing. In the article Murray describes four forces which help a writer move forward when they are trying to complete their first draft. The first force is resistance to writing. It can also be referred to the “Law of Delay”. Murray intention for this article is when someone gets an idea about writing they feel themselves stray away from it. Its almost like procrastination is inevitable when it comes to writing. The second force is the forces for writing. This involves what the writer feels. It is the perception of the writer. It is how much the writer knows about the subject he/she is talking about. The writer now puts the audience into consideration. The third force is Rehearsal for writing. The point that Murray is trying to get across through this force is that before a person begins to write they should discuss what they are going to jot down. A person should draw pictures the way little kids do before they write. The last force is “The signals which say write”, which pertains to the moment when the time has come to write. When the signals are there like “smelling a poem” or “catching sight of rabbit”, then you know its time to write. Lastly, a teacher should give his/her students enough time to brainstorm; to get their thoughts straight. The prewriting process is very important and should be taken into careful consideration when assigning a deadline for a paper. The student needs to have time for rehearsal; they need to have time to write before writing.
Question: What is the purpose of resistance to writing?
Response: Before reading this article I always thought it was a bad thing to keep putting off my writing assignments but now I see the other side of the spectrum. I think it’s a great philosophy to be able to say that putting off your writing is a good thing. It gives you more time to think and plan what you are going to write about. In high school, my teachers have always been big on timed writing. Timed writing essays usually go one of two ways. A, I spend all my time brainstorming and then I have very little time to write or B, I start writing right away and my thoughts come out all jumbled on paper because I have no time to think about what I was going to write. No matter which method I choose that doesn’t really show a person’s true writing ability. I believe what Murray believes. He says writing is waiting. Waiting for ideas to pop into your head. Waiting for a thought to come out of no where and hit you on the head. I shall wait…

1 comment: